About The Zone
The Edmonton Zone, is part of the Mountain Division within the Canadian Ski Patrol and provides ski patrollers to a number of ski areas in and around Edmonton, Edson, Cold Lake and Jasper National Park. It currently has 140+ members but is always looking for more volunteers.
Click here to learn more about the national organization.
Click here to learn more about the Edmonton Zone itself.
History of the CSP
In 1940, Dr. Douglas Firth was asked by the Canadian Amateur Ski Association (CASA) to organize and train a first aid rescue group to patrol the ski hills. The Canadian Ski Patrol was originally a standing committee of the CASA with independent patrols in different areas. During the years between 1941 and 1948, the war restricted expansion, but the Toronto and Montreal Patrols united to form the nucleus of a national organization. During the next five years, the System expanded in Ontario, Quebec and the Vancouver area.
Skiing mushroomed in the years 1955-59 and the CSP grew to 408 patrollers. This in spite of the Vancouver area seceding from the System because of a breakdown in communications. The increased size of the organization made some form of representative government necessary, so on 1957, the By-Laws were amended to have the National President elected by the Zone Presidents.
In the spring of 1961, the CSP was accredited as a National Charity and became independent of the CASA. Registration had grown to 650 patrollers with expansion into the Lakehead, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton, In August of 1962 we received our Letters Patent which incorporated the System as a national Non-profit Corporation and we raised our registration to approximately 1,000 patrollers.
In 1963, the first Board of Directors was elected by the Zone Presidents and the Annual Meeting. The National Executive was restructured into departments with a National Vice-President in charge of a group of departments.
In 1964, the registration was 1,570 patrollers. By this time skiing had become a family sport with approximately 500,000 participants in Canada. It was decided that we could no longer operate without a paid secretary so, in November of 1965, the System opened a small office and employed a full time secretary to take care of the ever-mounting requirements for correspondence and communication. The first national First Aid competitions were held in 1963, 1964 and 1965.
During 1965-66 we continued to expand both east and west, opening an Atlantic Division and a Zone which covers a very broad area in the interior of BC. In 1966, approximately 2,200 patrollers were registered.
In 1969, registration of the CSP was 2,500 patrollers. Saskatchewan division was formed in 1970. The Atlantic Division split into Atlantic East and West Divisions in 1974.
By 1975, registration had reached 4,200 patrollers.
The Management Committee was established in 1978 to handle the operation of the System. The following year the CSP moved its Head Office to a location purchased in the National Capitol Region and expanded its permanent staff to improve record keeping, administration and continuity at the National level.